The word “alcove” has two definitions: one architectural (a small recessed section built into a room; a nook) and one geological (a cavity/cave in a rock formation formed through water or wind erosion). Our goal with the Alcove is to intentionally design and build a safe place in the community for kids to explore their deeper thoughts and feelings through artistic expression. We are also helping the kids create a framework for building sections of time in their lives for reflection and expression. We desire for The Alcove to serve as a loving refuge from any harsher elements that arise in life, much as a cave can be used as a source of shelter and protection.
The Alcove will be located in Antioch, TN.
- 49% population growth in Antioch since 2000
- 22,825 children in Antioch
- 60.9% Antioch kids in single-parenthomes
- Average salary in Antioch $36.3K (State average $45K)
- 13% Antioch residents’ income below poverty level
- 24% in Antioch unemployed or not in labor force
- 42% of births in Antioch out of wedlock
- 56% of pregnancies unintended
- 13% dropout rate statewide
- Davidson county 21% (2 in 10 kids drop out)